Waterfront Estate – Sri Lanka – Complete that long-delayed project in the inspiring freshness of Sri Lanka’s country air
If you wish for peace and quiet to merely relax or get serious work done then Waterfront Estate is the place for you. It is located in the district of Chilaw, approximately an hour’s drive from the Colombo Airport.
Here, in the comforts of a private boutique villa equipped with star class hotel facilities, you can leave your worries behind and focus your thoughts to complete that long-delayed project – finish that book you started writing, complete academic papers, or just connect with nature and rejuvenate life.
The villa provides 6 large air conditioned rooms, hall, dining and a large swimming pool. Set in a 38 acres plantation of coconut, paddy and mixed crop, all organically grown, the estate is surrounded by a 6- foot tall fence and has 4 access gates. The entire estate is monitored 24 hours by CCTV surveillance, making it a very safe secure place free from hawkers, peddlars, pushers and the likes. The villa has it’s own generator for uninterrupted power supply as well.
All bedrooms have attached bathrooms with hot/cold water, a large king-sized four-poster bed draped with net and ample space for an additional single or queen-size bed, to accommodate 2 or 4 people comfortably.
Experienced kitchen staff turn out traditional Sri Lankan meals certain to satisfy the tastes of every food lover. Meals to order can also be provided when staff are supplied with necessary provisions. Some of the food and fruit on your table will come fresh from the estate’s own gardens.
For those wanting to cool off, there’s a 50-foot (4’deep) swimming pool in the forecourt. This is in addition to a large natural 60-acre lake nearby, fed by the Wilaththawa Wewa, or reservoir. The wewa is within walking distance and both wewa and pool are visited by a variety of water birds.
With all creature comforts assured, you can get on with what you came to do, or just breathe in the fragrance of country air and wake up to the cacophony of birds, squirrels and peacocks, that beats the sound of any fancy alarm clock in the world.
For diversion you can walk through the estate’s paddy fields, coconut plantations, and other agricultural lots, observing natural wild birds, honey bees, beautiful butterflies, dragon flies, moths and immature stages of these insects (eggs, larva, chrysalis, etc.) Or speak to the villagers tending the land and learn how food gets into everyone’s kitchens. Here honeybees are encouraged to do what they do best and you may be in time to see staff extract the golden sweetness from the many bee boxes spread around the estate.
With prior notice, car transport can be arranged for any activity. The villa is supplied with 230 V from the government electricity grid. It has Wi-Fi connectivity.
Waterfront Estate can be used as a base to visit a number of interesting places within easy access. Here are just a few:
- A short distance away is the charming coastal town of Chilaw with its wide picturesque lagoon where fishermen beach their colourful boats. Of interest are its ancient temples, churches and kovils, and buildings of colonial vintage.
- If the excitement of people and movement is for you, then visit the Chilaw Fish Market when the boats come. Get caught up in the excitement of boisterous haggling as fish are bought and sold.
- Within easy reach from Waterfront Estate is the historic Munneswaram Temple and the renowned Anawilundhawa Wetland, much visited for birdlife.
Or you can venture further afield to Panduwasnuwara, Yapahuwa, Arankele Monastery or Dadagamuwa Viharaya and marvel at what remains of stone fortresses, palaces and temples, going back to the 12th and 13th
- Or take an outing to Puttalam, once an ancient Dutch port, and Dutch Bay Kalpitiya to view dolphins or participate in water sports such as kite surfing.
- If its elephants, leopards, bears and wildlife that interest you, then take a drive to the nearby Wilpattu National Park, the largest and one of the oldest forest reservations in Sri Lanka. Here you can also observe a wide variety of birdlife, much of it populating the park’s many villus (lakes).
- Or take the scenic Kurunegala-Puttalam road to go to Kandy via Peradeniya, Wariyapoli and Kurunegala, where you can see the elephant rock from any direction.
For further information contact Frank Ryde on: 00973 3888 4362 (WhatsApp). Or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Places of interest to visit when you are at the Waterfront Estate Chilaw.
- Chilaw Fish Market.
- Munesweram temple, Arankele Monastery, Dadagamuwa Viharaya
- Anawilundawa bird resort.
- Kingdom of Panduwasnuwa.
- Yaphahuwa fortress.
- Kalpitiya dolphins & blue whales.
- St: Anne’s Thalavila.
- Dutch bay Kalpitiya
- Wilpattu jungle safari.
- Hamilton lagoon Chilaw.
- Raja Maha Vihara Chilaw.
- Ravana & Sitha trail begins in Waripolla the airport for Ravana’s famous Dandu Monara flying machine.
- Maha-weva white horse temple.
- Silver temple
- Padeniya Raja Maha Viharaya & Elephant Rock