St.Benedict’s College Old Boys Association New South Wales Inc.
ESTABLISHED IN SYDNEY NEW SOUTH WALES IN 1985
FOUNDER PRESIDENT-OLD BEN HAROLD CHRISTIE DAVID
CONTACT email – email@example.com
|Harold Christie David||Patron|
|Sherwell Fernando||Vice President|
|Dilen Edirimanasinghe||Gen. Secretary|
|Francis Constantine||Sports Secretary|
|Ralston Fernandez||Social Secretary|
|Ronnie Almeida||Committee Member|
|Roshan Pathinather||Committee Member|
|Eshanka Wickremaratne||Committee Member|
|Suranga De Silva||Committee Member|
|Chris Kandasamy||Committee Member|
|Desmond Don Paul||Auditor|
Editor and Media
HISTORY OF – St.Benedict’s College,Colombo 13,Sri Lanka.
The oldest Roman Catholic school in Sri Lanka, was inaugurated in 1865 by the Benedictine Monks. The school consisted of few classrooms and small staff at first. In 1868, the De La Salle Brothers took over the administration of the college. Since then the school has been headed by many Brothers who belonged to the La Sallian Community.
The past Directors of the College include Bro. Austin Anthony, Bro. Glastian Oliver, Bro. Alban Patrick, Bro. Athanace Charles, Bro. Osmund Gregory, Bro.Alexander Cyrilus, Bro. Granville Perera and Bro. Anselm Calixtus. Among all Bro.Flavian made a great contribution to the college.
Presently the college is headed by Rev. Bro. Pubudu Rajapakshe.
The college provides education to around 2400 students with a staff of around 200+ teachers. Students are enrolled from Grade 1 to Grade 13 with the local syllabus in English Sinhala and Tamil mediums. The college maintains a high conduct of Academic and Co-Curricular Activities that encourage students to fulfill their careers in the apt way.
The College section consists of a Main Hall, Rev. Bro. James, Rev. Bro. Alexander and Rev. Bro. Luke buildings, a library, two computer laboratories, lecture hall, physics, biology, and chemistry laboratories, three music and art rooms, and a language center.
The premises which accommodate grades six to thirteen (locally referred to as “the college”) is situated adjacent to St. Lucia’s Cathedral which serves as a landmark for the area. Main Building, Rev. Bro. Luke Memorial Building, Rev. Bro. Alexander Memorial Building, Rev. Bro James Memorial Building, Rev. Bro Granville Perera Aquatic Centre, The Main Hall Building, and Longstanding Clock Tower (Which was built during the English Colonial Era) are the buildings that complete the College section. Academic facilities are provided throughout the college for various groups of students in combination with co-curricular and extra-curricular facilities to enhance the studentship lives.
The College staff consists of 200 individuals. Around 2,800 students currently study at the college.
The College Prefects’ Board consists of 50 students who are selected for their all-around performances and contributions towards the college.
The Primary is headed by Rev. Bro. Praveen Vaaz. The 60-member-strong staff provides education to around 1000 students in fields of academy, sports arts, and music.
The Primary section consists of two main buildings, with classroom facilities of up to 40 classes, a library, and a language unit. The Primary also has a Western band, Eastern band, Choir, and Scout Troop on its own. The Primary Prefects board consists of 20 Prefects who attend all school occasions and keep the discipline of the young ones intact.
The St. Benedict’s College Primary is the first such Primary section of a school in the country to have its own basketball court. It also has facilities for Table Tennis in addition to the main sports of cricket, tennis, and swimming.
The school has about 2,400 students in 13 grades.
The Primary section, which is located apart from the college, educates those that enter the school during the initial years. Around 1000 pupils are handled by a staff of 60 teachers. The Primary section consists of classrooms, Library, Computer Laboratory, Music Hall, and an Arts room. In addition, the Primary students are given opportunities in taking part in Cub-Scouting, cadetting, Sports such as Cricket, Basketball, and Swimming, and Western and Eastern bands.
The College Section consists of Grades 6-13. There are also 2 Computer Laboratories, a Library, Music, Dancing and Arts rooms, Physics, Biology and Chemistry Laboratories and a Lecture Hall.
St. Benedict’s College, since its inception in 1865, has been at the forefront of sport on the Island, especially in Soccer, Basketball, Hockey, and Cricket, Produced Nationals for All Four Games, The school has been pioneers and front-runners of many sporting activities throughout the decades. The College produced the All-Island Champion Cricket team in 1964/65, was the first-ever school to introduce Rugby to the Schooling sector in the whole country, became All-Island Athletic Champions in 2008, All-Island Football Champions in 2006, 2007, and 2008, All-Island Basketball Champions in 2006 & 2009 and All-Island Hockey Champions in 2007.
The College owns a Gymnasium, There’s also a Sports-Hostel. The College grounds are situated at Bloemendhal Road, which consists of cricket pitches and turf, Rugby posts, football goals, and Hockey goals. It also provides facilities for various Athletic disciplines.
Within the College premises, the college has two basketball courts, of which one could be used for night games, a state-of-the-art swimming pool with viewing facilities, The swimming pool was constructed in 2010.
115 DEDICATED YEARS OF SERVICE TO OUR ALMA MATER
The Old Boys’ Union of the St. Benedict’s College is one of the oldest alumni associations in SriLanka having established on 14th February 1904 by a group of distinguished past pupils including the first Ceylonese Chief Justice Sir Thomas De Sampayo, Sir Marcus Fernando and Advocate C M Fernando. The first President of the Union was Rev. Bro. Christian who was the Director of the school. Old Boys’ Union have gone from strength to strength with many of the loyal past pupils domiciled abroad responsible in forming branches in Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, Toronto, Vancouver, London, New York, Paris, Dubai, Qatar and California. Perhaps the only school in Sri Lanka that can boast of such a network of alumni branches the world over.