Roads and Bridges in Ancient Sri Lanka-by Michael Roberts Source:Thuppahis Introduction by Gp Capt Kumar Kirinde [retd], SLAF … & crafted by Chamara Sumanapala, …. & presented in The Nation Sunday Print Edition, date not specified Below is an article on roads and bridges in ancient Sri Lanka (Anuradhapura era). The article also talks about the major roads linking Anuradhapura with the ports of Dambakola Patuna (in Jaffna Peninsula), Mahatitta (near Mannar) and Gokanna (Trincomalee) and the road linking Anuradhapura with Magama (present day Tissamaharama) in Ruhuna. Stone Bridge close to Mahakanadarawa Reservoir (Mihintale) The most important feature of the ancient Sri Lankan economy was its village level self-sufficiency. The basic needs of the people were satisfied within the village community. Traveling between villages usually took place by foot as people did not usually travel long distances. Therefore, there was no need for big roads linking villages. ...

Read More →

Kunchikulam Suspension Bridge – rare structure in the wilderness – By Arundathie Abeysinghe   Situated approximately 42 kilometers from Mannar along Medawachchiya -Talaimannar road in Kunchikulam, in close proximity to *Wilpattu National Park, Kunchikulam Suspension Bridge is a hidden tourist attraction in the wilderness. Also known as “Kunchukulam Suspension Bridge”,  Kunchikulam Hanging Bridge or “Kunchikulam Ellena Palama” or “Kunchikulam Sangili Palama” (in Sinhala meaning suspension bridge), the 100 meter long and 1.2 meters wide bridge is held by two strong cables with steel sheets laid across. The Bridge stretches across Malwathu Oya (Oya meaning stream in Sinhala). The Bridge can be seen en route to popular *Madhu Church when traveling from Medawachchiya. There is a small bill board before this road with directions to the hanging bridge. After traveling approximately 800 meters on this road, there is an ancient Steel Arch Bridge constructed across Yoda Ela, a 13 kilometer long ...

Read More →

No protection for archaeological monuments hidden in the Willpattu forest cover-BY NIMAL WIJESINGHE The Veli Vehera Archaeological site hidden in the Wilpattu National Park Source:Sundayobserver The Wilpattu National Park lies on the northwest coast, and belong to Northwest, North – central and Northern Provinces. The Park is bounded in the north by Moderagam Aru river and in the south by the Kala Oya. The Park was established on February 25, 1938 after declaration as a sanctuary in 1905. The total extent of the park is 1, 31,879 ha, and is divided in to five blocks, which were declared during various periods of time. The Wilpattu National Park (WNP) is the oldest and largest national park in the country and gained the status to a national park in as a result of the civil conflict for three decades, the WNP was closed from December 1988 until March 2003. Leaving the national ...

Read More →